This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Thursday, October 15, 2015

Review Thursday: Never Fade by Alexandra Bracken


The Darkest Minds #2

Goodreads Blurb:
"Ruby never asked for the abilities that almost cost her her life. Now she must call upon them on a daily basis, leading dangerous missions to bring down a corrupt government and breaking into the minds of her enemies. Other kids in the Children’s League call Ruby “Leader”, but she knows what she really is: a monster. 

When Ruby is entrusted with an explosive secret, she must embark on her most dangerous mission yet: leaving the Children’s League behind. Crucial information about the disease that killed most of America’s children—and turned Ruby and the others who lived into feared and hated outcasts—has survived every attempt to destroy it. But the truth is only saved in one place: a flashdrive in the hands of Liam Stewart, the boy Ruby once believed was her future—and who now wouldn’t recognize her. 

As Ruby sets out across a desperate, lawless country to find Liam—and answers about the catastrophe that has ripped both her life and America apart—she is torn between old friends and the promise she made to serve the League. Ruby will do anything to protect the people she loves. But what if winning the war means losing herself?"




Review:
Again, like Princess In Waiting that I reviewed on Tuesday, this was just your typical middle book.  The author did really try to keep it interesting and I was engrossed the whole time... but it was just okay.  While I was reading through, it felt like just a bunch of filler so that the author could finally get to the good stuff in the third book.

It was interesting, however to figure out loyalties and abilities!  I especially liked seeing how Ruby's ability changes her (sort of like in The Young Elites) character.

We also get into more of the politics side of this book, especially at the beginning of the end.  It  really wraps your brain around and suddenly all the little things make sense!  That was a great moment for me because, up until that point, it wasn't clear exactly what was being done and why.  It all just seemed to be stuck in the status quo with no reasoning.  Not anymore!

One last bright spot of the book was finally finding what Reds can do.  It was hinted at in the first book and I was really curious as to why they were deemed so dangerous.  The revelation about one of the characters was such a surprise and I'm curious to see how it'll work out in the next book!

The Final Verdict:
This book had middle-book-syndrome which really is a pity because the first book was so good!  There were a couple bright spots however - enough to encourage me to read the last book!
3.5 stars


Quotes:
“My, my." A feral grin spread across Cole's face. "Little brother must be a good kisser.” 


“I don't want to just see someone's face; I want to know his shadow, too."


“Sometimes you're the one speeding along in a panic, doing too much, not paying attention, wrecking things you don't mean to. And sometimes life just happens to you, and you can't dodge it. It crashes into you because it wants to see what you're made of.” 


“And people like you are the reason we have middle fingers.” 


“I feel like I'm losing my damn mind, like your face has been carved into my heart, and I don't remember when, and I don't understand why, but the scar is there, and I can't get it to heal. It won't go. I can't make it fade. And you won't even look at me.” 


“Oh, I'm sorry," Chubs said, 'apparently the middle of my sentence interrupted the beginning of yours. Do continue.” 


“Forgive yourself, but don't forget” 

7 comments:

  1. Ah I have this book but haven't read it yet. I really LOVED The Darkest Minds though. But yeah, middle book syndrome is terrible -- I really wish less books had that, but it seems sort of inevitable for sequels, sadly. :(

    Lovely review! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it more than I did :) It is kind of inevitable which is really sad. Maybe there's a trilogy out there that doesn't fall prey to middle-book-syndrome.

      Delete
  2. I read the Darkest Minds and really liked it, I even purchased a couple of the other books in the series, but I just never picked them up. Thanks for sharing this review, you've re-sparked my interest.

    Emily @ Follow the Yellow Book Road

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! It really is a good series and hopefully the last book wraps everything up nicely!

      Delete
  3. This book was a bit bland in comparison to book 1. I just wanted them to reunite with Liam, you know?! It took over 100 pages and that really upset me... I did like to see how Ruby enhanced and formed her gift along with meeting more children and learning more about the plot. Nice review!~

    Rachel @ A Perfection Called Books

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with you - this was just the sad little middle book... like driving through Illinois where the landscape barely changes! Yeah she definitely developed a lot more in this book! It was cool to see how her powers influenced her decisions. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete
  4. This book is like Insurgent meets X-Men with its need to infiltrate enemy territory and the super-human abilities that these incredible kids have. Just so cool!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...