This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Monday, November 17, 2014

#BookBlogWriMo - Favorite Book Tropes

The rest of the posts here!
Today's Topic: Favorite Book Tropes - Friends with benefits? Manic pixie dream girl? What cliche-type things do you never get sick of?


Hmmm I'm going to have to think on this one for a bit..................................

The thing is, I actually have such a short attention span when it comes to trends.  I'll read five books with love-triangles and be done with it.

I guess I never get tired of the main character having a best friend of the opposite (or of the same) gender and not being attracted to them.  I hate it when the classic 'they're in love with their best friend' thing.  But it's also a classic in so many books that the character has a friend that they aren't attracted to and never will be.

That's about it.  I mean, as I said above, I get really tired of the same old things really fast.  I just want something different!  Ugh especially that thing about how the MC is always in the dark about the 'secret society' or their powers or whatever and some strong other character (almost always a guy) helps them on their way and trains them and they all fall in love.  Bleh.  I just can't.  Some are good (about 1/3 or so) but most are just no.

Oh wait!  I just thought of another one.  I never get tired of the MC being the underdog/an outcast.  You know, being they discover their powers or whatever makes them special?  Of course, I've only read maybe one other book where it isn't like that (Rebel Belle) and I liked it but I still never get tired of that.

What are your favorite book tropes?

2 comments:

  1. I'm not very good at sticking with trends either and can get tired of them quickly, unless I find one I really love but that hasn't happened for a while. Great post

    http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/2014/11/review-battle-of-labyrinth-percy.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...