This blog has officially moved to Wordpress! You can find the latest posts at www.blueeyebooks.com. Redirect coming soon!

Friday, October 10, 2014

Book Review Friday: Eon: Dragoneye Reborn by Alison Goodman


Goodreads Blurb:
"Also Known As: Two Pearls of Wisdom, Eon: Rise of the Dragoneye, and Eon (All the same book just published with different publishers)

Swordplay, dragon magic--and a hero with a desperate secret

Twelve-year-old Eon has been in training for years. His intensive study of Dragon Magic,, based on East Asian astrology, involves two kinds of skills: sword-work and magical aptitude. He and his master hope that he will be chosen as a Dragoneye--an apprentice to one of the twelve energy dragons of good fortune. 

But Eon has a dangerous secret. He is actually Eona, a sixteen-year-old girl who has been masquerading as a boy for the chance to become a Dragoneye. Females are forbidden to use Dragon Magic; if anyone discovers she has been hiding in plain sight, her death is assured.

When Eon's secret threatens to come to light, she and her allies are plunged into grave danger and a deadly struggle for the Imperial throne. Eon must find the strength and inner power to battle those who want to take her magic...and her life."




Review:


This was such a refreshing book.  Seriously.  And there was practically no romance!  I definitely needed a break from that after reading The Winner's Curse.

The main issue being dealt with in this book is the role of females in the world and how they can be just as powerful as men.  I loved the way the author portrayed that message!  Eon (or rather Eona) is such a... human character and goes through struggle and sometimes breaks down but that's where her strength is.  Sometimes, being strong doesn't mean acting stoic and showing no emotion, it's the exact opposite.  That's something I think we all could work on.

I loved the fantasy feel and the connection to dragons.  I do wish there would have been more... connections to the dragons and more information but that'll probably come in the next books.  I also loved all the politics - it kept me reading :)  The world-building was amazing as well.

The entire book was a bit fast paced.  The entire book happens in pretty much 2 to 3 weeks.  Especially the ending.  It was just one gigantic problem after another with no peace in between.  So it was good and bad.

The Final Verdict
This was such a refreshing read and I loved almost every element.  The message, the plot, the world-building, the characters, everything!  The entire book was a bit too fast paced for me though.
4.5 stars


Quotes:
“There was a saying that a man's true character was revealed in defeat. I thought it was also revealed in victory.” 


“You are wrong when you say there is no power in being a woman. When I think of my mother and the women in my tribe, and the hidden women in the harem, I know there are many types of power in this world...I found power in accepting the truth of who I am. It may not be a truth that others can accept, but I cannot live any other way. How would it be to live a lie every minute of your life? I don't think I could do it.” 


“I felt something stir within me. It took a moment to recognise it. Anger.” 


“How brief and hidden were the moments of destiny.”


 “I found power in accepting the truth of who I am. It may not be a truth that others can accept, but I cannot live any other way. How would it be to live a lie every minute of your life.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...